Monday, March 18, 2013

Strange Stuff in the Mission Field. . .

Hi Family!!

Last Monday's prep day had an interesting twist.  When we got back to our apartment, I changed my shirt to a normal t-shirt.  Right after doing that there was a knock at our apt. door.  When I answered it, lo-and-behold it was the Jehovah's Witnesses.  They gave me their message and a copy of the Watchtower.  I was tempted to question them, but then it came into my mind that I know exactly how they feel, going door-to-door.  So I wasn't going to be rude to them.  Of course, it would've been fun to tell them I'm actually a missionary too, but then if I did that, it might have stirred up some controversy and I didn't want that.  They're trying to do good, which is also good in the eyes of God.

Tuesday was the 12th and we went up to Presque isle and Caribou (both in Maine) for a district meeting.  Just as the meeting started we got a phone call from Flo, who still hasn't been confirmed.  Lots to still work out there.

Later in the day we were contacting a referal.  The snow was built up all around her house so we had to trudge through it just to knock on the door.  It was up to my thighs when I knocked.  The lady had heard us knock, but her neighbor saw us around her house and called her to "warn" her.  So she came to the door to spy on us, and "Bam!" -- there we were!  She let us in and we had a great lesson with her.  She's starting to read the Book of Mormon and we'll be meeting with her again.  However, when we left, the neighbor let her dogs out to come after us.  They were pretty ferocious buggers and were nippin' at our heels!!  Exciting times!

Wednesday, March 13th was very interesting.  We met with an investigator but things were pretty hectic with her kids and all so we didn't get to teach much.  After that we went to a member's house to collect some eggs.  They have a lot of ducks and chickens, so they give us free eggs.  Late we went on splits with President Carter and Bro. Sides to visit a few families in the branch.  We had some interesting meetings!

After that we all had dinner back at the Carters' home.  The little girl, Sydney, and I get along great and have an ongoing joke of "I've got my eyes on you!"


Thursday the 14th we had some good teaching visits.  But we also had some no-shows.  That's never very fun.  We went to Woodstock, Canada for dinner with the Streets, then we went on splits with Aaron and theo.  Aaron and I tried to contact a few people out in the Boondocks, but had no luck.  We had a good talk about his conversion and how he's preparing to serve a mission.  He is such a strong new convert in spit of being the only member in his family, and they don't want much to do with the church.  I'm realizing more out here then I ever would have back home, how big of a blessing it is for me to have been born into this Gospel.

On Friday we drove out to a "far away" part of our area called Danforth.  As we were driving, we saw a tree on the side of the road with a big coyote hanging from one of the branches.  It was hung by it's hind legs.  I felt badly for it but, naturally, I got out and took a picture with it.  We made it down to the Tarbell's home and taught them.  It was fun to hear how her daughter (Celeste Nelson back in Cole Harbour) is doing.  We taught another lesson to a couple who are very hard of hearing.  The in the evening we had dinner at Sister Boutlier's home with Phil and Flo.  Delicious beef stew with dumplings, and then we had a good discussion about temples.

Saturday we stopped in at Sadie's Bakery again.  It's THE best place in town, with really delicious donuts, pastries and other baked goods.  I had my first "whoopie-pie" there this morning and it was so good!  We're getting to know the couple that works there and becoming better friends.  Later in the day we were contacting and came across a giant tree that had hundreds of shoes all over it!  STRANGE!  It was pretty cool, but I didn't throw my shoes up there!
It was also my mom's birthday.  I love her so much, and she has done everything to help get me where I am today.  She has made all the difference in my life, and continues to do so as she loves and supports me through my mission.  I love all of the great memories we have shared, and especially that she took the time to spend time with me.  One of my favorite aspects of this is the time and talent we have shared through music, all of the places we have performed, and the relationship we have through that.  My mom will always be my hero, because she always thinks of others before herself, and will do anything she can to make sure others feel comfortable.  I'm trying to follow her example as best I can, but I'll never be able to reach everything she is.  Good thing she's still around to keep teaching me!  (Sure love this sweet boy!!!  I missed having him there for our celebrations, but I wouldn't want him anywhere else than where he is...serving the Lord!!)

Sunday was a bit disappointing when Flo didn't show up again.  Other than that it was a great day at church because we had four non-members there, and the talks were perfect.  After our meetings, we had a "linger longer" which is a big potluck dinner for everyone.  We were stuffed out of our minds with how much food we ate...especially the brownies.  This area really isn't good for my body!!  After we recovered from our food coma, we worked for the next seven hours in our apartment, organizing our workbooks, teaching records, etc, into a system that will make our area more functional.  It was funny, as I took part of my dinner time to wash dishes, I realized that I inherited one of my mother's traits -- I clean when I'm stressed or need to occupy myself.  I guess that's a good thing.  At least it's good that I know how to wash dishes and I like to have everything neat/tidy!  (Wow!!  I guess things really DO come together and these kids "get it!"  HOORAY!!)
Well, that's all for this week.  I hope you had a great birthday, Mom, and that you liked the card I sent.  Tell everyone that I love them and miss them!!  I'm excited for Tannya and Brandon to have another baby girl.  And I'm glad you guys all get to go to Conference!  That's cool that Erika is going with you guys!

Take care!

Love,

Elder Hunt
There are some interesting people around here...yes, some are quite taken with aliens and UFO's!



No comments:

Post a Comment