Tuesday, July 30, 2013

ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!!

Dear Family,
So here’s how the week went:
Monday (22nd) – Got kicked off the library computers early because other people needed to use them, which was a bummer because we didn’t get to finish emailing.  But the rest of the day was good.  At one point we went to teach a discussion with Chris, and when we got there his whole family was out on the deck eating dinner.  We talked for a bit and set up another lesson time.  None of them were against us in any way, so we might be able to teach the whole family.  Then after that, we came across a family out on their porch.  We talked a bit and they invited us to come on their porch and share more.  It’s a family of 5 and we had a really good experience with them.  The dad was very interested (the mom had to take the kids to a sports practice), and is going to read and pray.  I’ve really been wanting to teach and baptize a family, and it’s been cool to see more families being put in our path.  


Tuesday (23rd) – We had our district meeting, and I did an exchange with Elder Dupin back to Houlton.  We contacted a family of Puerto Ricans and they invited us right in.  I’ve never had an easier time being invited in!  They moved here 3 weeks ago and have been so prepared to hear the gospel!!
Wednesday (24th) – Elder Dupin and I did some service at Tarbells cutting wood, and doing a lot of weed-wacking.  While we were working, some Jehovah’s Witnesses came walking up to us, not knowing we were LDS missionaries.  When they noticed our name tags, we had a nice friendly chat and gave them our card. 
That evening, Elder Edmond and I did splits with Pres. Carter and Bro. Sides.  We were able to see a few people, and also found a really cool potential investigator, who scheduled a return appointment on Friday.
Thursday (25th) – This was one of those “not-so-good” days when it seems that every appointment falls through, and things can spiral down pretty quickly.  I don’t like these days much at all, and I’m glad they don’t happen very often!!
Friday (26th) – It rained and downpoured all day.  And things have been a bit discouraging.  BUT, when things are going bad, that just means that a miracle is coming our way!!  In the evening we had dinner with Wendy, who has been less-active.  But it was good to meet with her, and she also made homemade bread, which was really good. 
I also had district call-ins from the elders in our district.  It’s a big responsibility to listen to their trials, feelings, etc., and to know how to help them as best I can.  I wonder if raising five daughters would be easier?  Ha!!
Saturday (27th) – Elder Edmond woke up sick…throwing up throughout the day.  So my day was relatively uneventful…scripture study, watching New Testament videos, playing chess against myself…I’m a pretty worthy opponent!!
Sunday (28th) – I love Sundays.  Mike came to church (he’s been working on Word of Wisdom stuff), and he stayed for all of the meetings.  During Sunday School, the teacher (an ex-Pentecostal preacher) related the following:  “Last week when the Elders came to visit me, Elder Hunt told me that I needed to repent!  He said the issues I was having were due to my own stubbornness and that I needed to repent!  Well, over the next couple of days, I kept hearing his voice saying that, over and over in my head… ‘you need to repent.’  So I repented…and by golly, Elder hunt was right!”  Bro. Lee then looked at me and said, “You were right, Elder Hunt, and blessed be your name for it.”  Well, I’ll just say, it feels good to know that the Lord works through his missionaries, and we get to help people change their lives.
We also got to go to the Peters for dinner.  Ben and Molly were there, so we were finally able to teach them again.  I got to meet baby Noah, and hold his cute two-week old body.  We had a great testimony meeting with the entire Peters family.  Molly even bore her testimony that she knows the church is true.  It was a really neat experience to have every single person there bear their testimony.
 

 

So, I guess the recap of the week is, there are good days and hard days as a missionary.  When the hard times come it’s important to remember they aren’t ALL like this!  The good days are GREAT and even “little things” like praying to have families to teach, and then having three in one week brought into our lives, is really cool!  Don’t forget to pray for the things you want.  Heavenly Father answers our prayers.  It may not always be the way we want, but He does answer them for our best good.

Love,
Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment