Tuesday, August 6, 2013

ANOTHER GREAT WEEK IN HOULTON...AND BEYOND!!

Dear Family,

Transfers came out last week, and nothing changed for me or my companion, so I'll be in Houlton for another transfer.  That will only be six months here.  The record-holding elder served in Houlton for TEN months...

Last Monday we had a branch activity/FHE at the Carters.  We played softball and I hit TWO home-runs!  (Yes, our team won!)  Afterwards we sat around and roasted s'mores.  There were 8-9 little kids who piled around me, asking for help making their smores.  When they burnt them, they would ask me to eat them.  And I managed to attract all the bugs in the area too!  I have 30+ fresh big bug bites from the evening.  Good thing I don't mind sacrificing my body for a good cause!!  Sure love the kids!  Hate the bugs!!

One of the best things this week was when we met with Ruth and Kacy, teaching them the Plan of Salvation.  Kacey's daughter is Hannah, the cute energetic girl at the daycare I told you about last month.  I had promised her then I'd bring her a sticker if I ever saw her again.  When we met with them, I had a bunch of stickers, and she was the happiest girl in the world.  

I also learned, again, how good it is when we listen to promptings from the Holy Ghost.  One morning I was studying about charity and love when we got a phone call from Lucky to see if we could do some service for him.  Normally I would have declined because we already had a full day planned.  Instead, I told him we could.  We rushed over, did what he needed in 10 minutes, then rushed back just in time for our conference call with the ZL's.  While on that call, I had to change, talk, grab everything, and leave with Bro. Lee for our appointment with Mike.  We had a great lesson with him, and he and Bro. Lee hit it off really well.

Afterwards, Bro. Lee took us out for a steak dinner.  After that we were out contacting and  met a 23 year old gal who loved our lesson, and wants to learn more, but she is worried that her fiance  won't let her keep talking to the missionaries.  They are planning to get married in three weeks.  Why does it seem that it's the guys who are usually prideful and arrogant, whereas generally the women are more spiritual and receptive to the gospel message.

On Saturday we went to Fredericton for our zone training mission.  Elder Nzojubwami was visiting, so he and I caught up as usual and sat together.  We figure that our mission president will never actually let us serve together, so we take advantage of the times when we meet up.  
The zone training was really good, AND I got a package from the Hampsons back in the Eastern Passages area.  It had a really nice microphone, complete with recorder set and headphones.  Pretty quality stuff and it is a huge blessing to have gotten it from them!!  (Mom, be sure to tell Bruce and Sue THANK YOU for me!)  [Sue and Bruce, Elder Hunt says "Thank you" for the recording equipment!!]
After getting back to Woodstock from our zone training, we met with Angie, who has been less active.  She was so happy to meet with us.  Then we had dinner with the Peters, who took us to the Blue Moose restaurant in Monticello.  When we got home we were exhausted.  At the end of the night we went to Houlton Farms Dairy because they were celebrating their 75th anniversary, and giving out big hot fudge sundaes for 75 cents.  We also got T-shirts, that the servers signed, since we're so tight with them!!

And then Sunday was great.  Mike came to church after some "stuff" that needed to be worked out.  His heart is really in the right place.  It's a 45 minute drive for him to come to church, and he did it in spite of some things he had to work through.  We were so glad he did, because it was a really spiritual meeting.  (We also received a phone call from Mike's cousin, who lives in Tennessee, asking us when Mike's baptism date is, because he's going to fly up for it.  That was pretty great!)

I was grateful for the inspiration to take a care package of food and goodies to the other elders in my district when we went for zone training.  Turns out they had absolutely no food in their apartment...they didn't even have enough to bring a lunch to the zone meeting...so they were really grateful for the package.  Some people might call that coincidence, but I know when there is a power and a divine prompting higher than my own.  I'm just grateful to be able to help.

I love my Heavenly Father, and I know that if He didn't have perfect patience, He would surely be frustrated with me in my life at times.  But I try to live my life one day at a time, with a positive outlook.  This only comes through having an eternal perspective, and I know I'm only beginning to understand that perspective.

Well, hope you all have a great week.  I loved seeing Dad and Mom's pictures and video from their sailing excursion at Sand Hollow.  Looks like fun.  Maybe a year from now...

Love,
Elder Hunt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment