Tuesday, July 8, 2014

GOODBYE, NEWFOUNDLAND!! HELLO, SACKVILLE!!


Dear Family,


This was a rather difficult week.  I never thought I'd be saying "good-bye" to Newfoundland until the end of my mission.  This was a bit of a shock, and it was sad to have to leave.  On Monday we packed, then met up with Jeff Lingard.  What an amazing guy and friend!  Then we had dinner at Annie King's home and said our "good-byes."  After that we had "new trainers orientation" via skype.  That was good too.   



On Tuesday we had our last Zone Leader skype call.  It was kind of sad to be leaving that behind, but some of my most memorable times of my mission were when I was a district leader and had such close contact with other missionaries, so I'm looking forward to the good things about this transfer.  As Elder Dupont and I were driving to Gander to help out with some volunteering for Canada Day (July 1st), we sang "O Canada!"  It was kind of funny that I know the words to their national anthem better than Canadian Elder Dupont did in some places...thanks, Mom!!  (A month before he left on his mission, Rod and I, and Erika and Elder Hunt did a day trip to Las Vegas...two hours away...and I taught him all the verses to "O Canada!"  Figured it would serve him well for the rest of his life!)

  We got pretty pretty fried out in the sun for a few hours...but it wasn't too bad.  As we were walking back to the truck, a random parked car honked at us.  A gal waved for us to come over, so we did.  She was sobbing.  She had just found out her boyfriend had an aneurysm.  She had recognized us by our shirts and ties and wanted us to come pray with her.  We did, and spoke with her a bit.  She'll be a good potential for the new Elders coming in.
We also said goodbye to Regis, Tim and the Parkes.  Sad.
 



Wednesday was my last day in Newfoundland.  Thursday we were up bright and early to catch the plane to Halifax.  Elder Layton and Elder Knowles met us and drove us to the mission office.  My new companion is Elder Blum ("Bloom") and it was good to finally meet him.  We made our way to our apartment and found that is was like a bomb had gone off in it.  We did a lot of cleaning and organizing before heading over to the church for a Family History class.  We met the Ranglack's, a senior couple, and the sisters (Ward and Heirtzler).  
Friday was my first full day in Sackville and it's fun to be training again and have time to do so much more with studies as I try to help Elder Blum understand some things.  After studying and correlation, we went out contacting and finding.  Elder Blum got pretty nervous  and kind of jumped around.  It helped me realize how much I have learned in the past two years.  Everyone we talked to was pretty nice, though, and we got some good potentials.  As we spoke to one gal at a bus-stop, she ended up missing her bus, so I felt really badly.  
AND being in Canada for the 4th of July is really anti-climatic!!  Instead of celebrating Independence Day, everyone was buying supplies to get ready for the hurricane that was supposed to hit on Saturday.  AND Elder Blum is getting pretty sick...tends to happy with new missionaries!  *_*
The wind was blowing pretty hard on Saturday and we watched a bunch of tree branches get ripped off and blown down the street.  But it wasn't that bad, and we went out in it and did a lot of contacting.  However, we had one very "interesting" contact...turned out he was doing some work for the government and he was kind of scary.  It was a rather high stress situation, and I thought we might not come out of it so well.  But we're still alive, so that's a good thing!
Sunday was great!  We had ward council and everyone is so engaged in missionary work, and the members are wonderful!  I really enjoy having a good ward to work with and members that aren't afraid to be involved with the missionary work.
Time is sure interesting!  Sometimes it flies by and sometimes not so much.  I hope Elder Blum and I can work well as a companionship so that a lot of good work can be accomplished in this last month!!

Love you all!!

Love,
Elder Hunt



No comments:

Post a Comment