Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back in the States. . . BARELY!!

Hello Family!

Monday (Feb 18th) was a pretty good p-day.  We had dinner at the Frank’s again, and I’m sure going to miss those wonderful 4-course meals!!  And the people, too!  Afterwards we went to the Bruce’s to say goodbye. We’ve gotten close to that family.  Hannah (14) put her hair extensions in my hair and it kind of made me look like a native…now that I’ve had my hair put into a pony-tail, I can check that off my bucket list.  We basically had to pull an “all-nighter” to get everything packed, and the apartment cleaned out, since we were going to be busy with lessons, zone training AND transfers!  Such good times and memories, and there was so much to do!!
On Tuesday (February 19th), we headed up to Kentville for zone training.  Elder Moran is our new zone leader, and he did a spectacular job in providing training, insight and the spirit.  He brought in real members from their ward, and had us role play with them.  It made a huge difference.  One man we taught used to be a professional organ player for another denomination.  Then he was baptized.  I really enjoyed getting to know him/teach him.  His name was Brother Horn.  

After Zone training we travelled back, and had our (my) last dinner with Sheila Jordan.  I’m really going to miss her, but I’ll be back to go through the temple with her on September 29th when it’s her year mark from being baptized.

 Later in the evening we met with Mike at the church.  He is going to be baptized on March 9th!  Sadly, I won’t be there to participate, but I’m grateful for the part I had as a missionary in his conversion.  Mike expressed much gratitude to me, and said we’d always stay in touch.  I hope we do. 

Wednesday was my very last day in Cole Harbour/Eastern Passage Area.  We attended a session at the temple, then went out to the Hampson’s for lunch.  We had taco salad, chocolate candy-bar pie, and Sue also sent me with some brownies for the transfer trip.  She definitely knows me!!  (Way to spoil our boy, Sue!!  Thank you for taking such good care of him!!  Hopefully he’ll be back in the area at some point later in his mission!)  

After lunch, we had a last lesson with Bill and Linda Thompson and they gave me a leatherwork wristband with a Celtic symbol on it.  We had a great dinner with the Kidd’s and I was asked to give him a blessing.  It is such a special experience to be asked to do that, and I am grateful I could.  Then we had a last lesson with Stephanie.  She gave me a really nice card, and it was good to be able to say goodbye.

Thursday morning (February 21st) we woke up at 4:30 a.m. and went over to the mission home to meet up with the AP’s (Elder Nielson and Elder Unger), and the transfer van.  We all got arranged, I said good-bye to Elder Davidson, and then we were

I got talking a lot with one of the new missionaries during the driveHis name was Elder Tusa, and he’s Samoan, but lived his whole life in Australia.  He played a lot of rugby, so it was great for us to talk about so much and pass the rugby ball around a bit.  We stopped in Moncton, New Brunswick and met other missionaries there.  
I got to see Elder Deem (Elder Hunt’s trainer), Elder Layton (from the MTC district) and many others, which I loved.  

Then we packed up and I went with my new companion, Elder Clark, and we drove all the way down to Houlton, Maine.  He’s a great Elder, and I already love him!  He’s Hawaiian, but lived in Bountiful, Utah.  We both went to BYU as well, so we have a lot in common. 
Our apartment and new area are just over the border and I like this apartment much better.  My other apartment was called “the dungeon” because there wasn’t much light in it at all.  I’m stoked to be in the states again because now I can use flat-rate shipping, cheaper prices, and everything!  One of the first things we did, of course, was make the apartment spotless from the way we found it! 

Friday, (February 22nd)  was a good day of planning and really trying to organize this area.  I’m kinda OCD, so I’ve really been paying attention to detail in getting things rightly placed.  Elder Clark is a really great guy, and we have been getting along very well.  It seems like this area has had missionaries in it forever.  Every single person in this small town must have a teaching record in our Area Book.  Elder Clark and I are determined to be obedient and trust in the Lord to help find those who are ready to hear the Gospel.
We had a dinner with the Spinney’s tonight, and then contacted a lot of referrals.  It feels a lot colder down here than it did in Eastern Passage, even though it’s not.  This town really reminds me a lot of downtown St. George.  It’s nowhere near as big, but has the same style and feel of long-lasting heritage.  All the houses are huge old Victorian’s and are pretty cool.  In the evening we had a lesson with F. Phillips, a lady who is from the Micmac Indian Tribe.  She will now be getting baptized on March 2nd!  She also wants us to help her wash her big dog in the tub next week…it’ll be great!
Saturday (February 23rd) we were out contacting, and then we stopped by the church meetinghouse.  Our building here is an old Anglican church that was remodeled inside.  It’s definitely got a different look to it, but you still feel the spirit just the same.
We stopped at a less-active’s home.  She had the biggest k-9 ever!  It was huge and was pretty vicious, but it loved me, so thank goodness he didn’t shred me to pieces!  In the evening we had dinner with the Carters.  He is the Branch President for the church here and they have three great, hilarious kids.  Love them to death already!  Later we had a good chat with a native man on the reservation.  I’m really going to have to get used to their speech and how they talk with their language.  Also, when we got home that evening I was overjoyed to see I had mail!  I got a letter from Erika, a letter from Amelia, and a package from Mom!!  (I was pretty excited, too, to know I could send a package on Wednesday and Elder Hunt would receive it by Saturday!!  I just might try sending him some cinnamon rolls!!)   It only takes 3 days for mail to get here, and I love it!  So that will be pretty convenient while I’m in this area!
Sunday, February 24th, was our first day at church in this area and it was great!  I thought it was going to be way different being in such a small branch.  It was definitely different, but I loved every second of it.  The people here are so great!  They are so strong in the Gospel, and willing to serve/help in any way they can.  We had such a strong, spiritual meeting, and I was so comforted feeling and knowing that the same spirit I’ve had in any other place was the same spirit I felt at my new branch.  I met a lot of great people that I’m really looking forward to getting to know.  Sister Tarbell, who is the mother of a lady in my ward back in Cole Harbour, lives in this ward, so that’s really fun to have those connections.  There’s also a lady who has a 300 year old violin she wants me to try…so I’m REALLY excited to get over there and play it.  I’m really loving this branch and the people here, so much!  Elder Clark and I are getting along perfectly.  We’re very similar and both love to laugh a lot, so we’re having a great time.  He was trained well, and just finished being trained.    I’m so grateful to have him as a companion.
So, that about tells you what’s happened this week.  Thanks, again, for the mail that came so quickly.  As you know, I love getting mail!
Love you all!
Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment