Monday, December 30, 2013

2nd CHRISTMAS IN THE MISSION FIELD!!

 
Dear Family,

Always interesting stuff going on in the mission field:
  • Looking at thrift stores to find a possible cheap suit since mine is so big on me now…but not a whole lot of luck; 
  • Finding ourselves in a bit of a rough crowd one evening and needing to get out of there quick…we did!    
  • Playing laser tag at a member’s home (Meisters) on Christmas Eve, having dinner, and a lot of fun there, but also REALLY missing everyone back home…(it didn't help that a movie we watched had a girl named “Erika” in it!!  J
  •  Opening Christmas presents on Christmas Day…except that my companion only had one gift to open from a member since his package from home ended up in the wrong location…
  • Dealing with others’ emotional difficulties, and sometimes having no idea how to do that; 
  • Having my cough/cold act up and sleeping on the couch to help reduce how much I cough; 
  • Being really tired because of lack of sleep, but working hard and going out anyway, and being blessed with some cool missionary experiences; 
  • And holding the hand of a lady I have grown to love (Jean Costain, in the nursing home) and understanding how good it feels to have someone hold your hand, (reminiscent of my own hospital stay a couple of years ago…)
So, that’s the “brief recap."

Now for a few details and pictures:
 
(Just so you don't think I'm exaggerating on the last few snow storms we've had here...)



 Christmas Eve was a lot of fun, combined with a lot of different emotions...we did a lot of visiting with members during the day, then in the evening we went to the Meisters for dinner and LASER TAG throughout their house...what a blast!!!  And then the reminders of home...not such a blast...but it definitely has given me a much greater appreciation for family and all that it means to me.

 

 

'Christmas Day was also hard, but good.  Can’t express how much I missed everyone over the holidays!  But we also had some good times here.   All the packages I received from everyone were amazing!!  I’m all set with heater bags,  foot and hand warmers, slippers, toothbrushes/toothpaste/dental floss, pills to ward off cold sores, and lots of food & snacks and my FAVORITE chocolate chip cookies supplies!!!
 



  
 After opening presents, Elder Urick and I, (and some of the other missionaries), went over to the Tibbitts and we all helped make breakfast together.  My contribution was a PERFECT coffee cake made from scratch.  All of the breakfast was REALLY good.
 

 It was great to Skype with everyone and to see you. When we weren’t skyping with our families, we were playing Dominoes, or just relaxing.  It was a great day...for a hard day.  In the evening we went to the Gallant’s home.  There was all kinds of food there and I even tried the lobster, but it still makes me gag, so I settled for everything else!


This week we have had some great missionary experiences with some Filipino people.  The first was a family (husband, wife and 8 year old daughter) who invited us in and were very interested in our message.  It was fun to talk a bit with him about the Philippines, food, culture and stuff because of Brandon serving his mission in the Philippines. 
Then, a couple of nights later (on Dad’s and Mom’s anniversary!) we went out even though my cough has been really bad.  Our appointments fell through and it was a bit discouraging, but then we knocked on a door, a Filipino lady answered it and immediately invited us in.  There were SIX Filipino friends there that huddled on the couch together and sat listening intently as we taught them about the Book of Mormon and the restoration of Christ’s church.  It turned out that one of them found a Book of Mormon at a friend’s house a little while ago and took it.  She had read the introduction page and wanted to know more.  So we have picked up six new investigators because of that meeting. 


 

 
 


It never ceases to amaze me how our Heavenly Father blesses us in our missionary efforts as we work hard and do all in our power to do the things we’re supposed to be doing, even when it’s really hard.

I hope you all do everything you can to do what YOU are supposed to be doing because I know you will be blessed as you keep the commandments and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

Love,
Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment