Monday, September 17, 2012

Elder Hunt's Eventful Week

Hello Everybody!

This week was truly inspired. 

Earlier this week, we were tracting up in a pretty sketchy area, and we turned a corner to see a ton of police and whatnot. turns out someone got shot right where we were tracting...crazy stuff. But anyway, then we had a strong feeling to go tract this street called Grumpy Lane. There were only three houses on the street, and I felt we should start at the top of the hill, rather than at the bottom where we were. So we start at the top, and the first two didn't answer. So as we're walking to the third, a car pulled in and a lady went into the house. We knocked on her door and on of the first things she said to us was, "you just knocked on my daughters house, and she's not ready for the Gospel. But I'm ready to hear the Gospel, Elders." She is not a member, but has defnitely been prepared by the Lord to be taught at this moment. I'm so excited to be able to begin teaching her and help bring her closer to Christ.

A few nights later, I went on exchanges with another Elder, so I was tracting down along the waterfont right by the big Halifax Bridge. It's really a sketchy neighborhood, so we got done a little early when it was dark, and went to take some pictures down on the boardwalk of the bridge and the city lights. A cute couple occupied our ideal lookout spot, so we had to move over to a much less satisfying one. Had those obstacles not been put into place, we wouldn't have had such an amazing experience as we did. 

As we stood there admiring the view, I heard a tune of Called To Serve being whistled. Long story short, It turned out to be a man by the name of Ryan Oliver. We talked for a short bit, and he ended up taking us to dinner at a seafood restaurant right there on the waterfront. 

Now, if you know me, I don't like seafood...of the little that i've tried. But that night, Ryan ordered me a "Seafood Platter" with assortments of callamari, shrimp, salmon, haddock, and scallops. Surprisingly, I ate it all and it wasn't too bad at all!; a few fishy bites here and there, but nothing too horrible! Hooray! Anyway, as we sat there and ate, Ryan taught Elder Sloan and I so many different things. We literally felt like what he was telling us was truly inspired and what we needed to hear at that time. I don't have too much time to go into all the details, but I will say one thing. As little of a "coincidence" as it may have seemed, Ryan Oliver truly changed my mission and my life. I will always remember the things he taught me and the truth of his message. Ryan lives in Highland, Utah, so I can't wait for the day when I come home and can go see him again. Thanks for everything Ryan.

Other great things/events that happened this week:

I fell asleep in the car and Elder Deem is hilarious, so he slammed on the brakes and screamed, as if we were getting into a car crash. I woke up, mid-heart attack and punched him...

Linda Thompson is getting baptized this weekend, and her husband Bill had us drink a cup of water with a spoon full of Cayan pepper in it...It's very hot, but is supposed to help your blood flow and pump better...So now Elder Deem and I do it nearly every day. who knew? Also, Bill, reminds me so much of John Locke off of the TV show Lost. He looks and acts like him and is just great! 


I was able to have dinner over at a family's house on Saturday, and celebrate Mexican Independence Day! It was one of the most fun things i've ever experienced! Viva!! We had so much good authentic food, a pinata, and so much more. It was such a great time!

Well, I truly cherish the time that I have to read the Book of Mormon each day. Before my mission, I read it, but didn't really read it. Now, I am learning and understanding so much more, and it is really the highlight of my day to be able to dive in and learn more! I am learning so much! 

There is a talk that I am including in this email. Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?37xdrke0pycc7e7  .  Go to that link, and download the talk. The talk is by W. Cleon Skowsen, and is one of the best talks I've ever heard and learned from. Please take some time to sit down and listen! And mom, you could even post this talk on the blog or something. It's amazing!

Take care!

Elder Hunt

1 comment:

  1. Great letter! We are believers in cayenne pepper, too. You can buy it in capsules so you don't have to drink it. Michael and I carry it on our key rings. We've used it on bad cuts. You dump it on and it stops the bleeding! Also, in case anyone around us has a heart attack we'll quickly mix it with water and have them drink it. It's supposed to open the blood vessels and stop the heart attack. We haven't actually tried that one yet! Your missionary is doing great!

    ReplyDelete